Monday, January 24, 2011

The ravens and the lion...


Early Sunday morning... maybe 4:00 or so, I woke up from a dream. There was a fragment of it that was very intriguing to me, and so I made a point to remember it before I fell back to sleep. When I got up that morning, I wrote down the images that I had retained from it.

I was the observer of a small drama unfolding before me. I was in a desert-like place... (fairly barren and sandy, as much of it as I could see) and I was watching two ravens standing next to a burrow in the ground, which was maybe 10 inches across. They were waiting for small birds to come out of the hole, so they could eat them. Two robin-sized birds came out and perched themselves at the edge of the hole, across from the ravens, facing away from them. One of the ravens began to taunt the robins... and was jabbing them with its beak and pulling at their feathers. Just being a bully. At that point, a lion (yes... a regular, big lion) emerged from the hole, and started to walk away. I was wondering why he didn't do something about the ravens, but then he turned around and looked at me, and told me, without speaking "this is not my fight... and this isn't my concern". And then he was gone. A small sparrow hopped out of the burrow, and one of the ravens snatched it up in his beak and swallowed it whole. Then I woke up.

3 comments:

Tricia said...

In pagan cultures, birds represent the soul...both the good and the evil parts of our human nature. That's why in. Many ancient cultures you will see depictions of ravens, eagles (not a coincidence that it's our national symbol), even finches. I remember learning in world rel class, about a creation story or two, that involved birds as the primary creator. My guess is, this is because birds represent freedom, thoughts, ideas, etc...and there's nothing more free, than the idea of flight. I looked up crow in the dream dictionary...and they represent the Anima. A black bird reps the dark, neglected, or shadowy side of a person. The lion represents both our tendencies toward strength, and cruelty.

Harold D said...

My first impressions of it were that it seemed to be a very primative type of dream... almost like something that a tribal shaman would experience. It was an interesting one, that's for sure.

Unknown said...

Your dreams are way more interesting than mine. I get mad if I have to watch paint dry all night!