Sunday, October 25, 2009

Paranormal Activity

After hearing so much about this movie, I decided I needed to go see what all the fuss was about for myself. It was good, and I am glad that I saw it in a theatre on the big screen. Actually I think this one would translate very well to the small screen, since it is filmed like a home video, but there is something special about seeing certain movies in a theatre. I went to the 2:00 matinee, and there was (maybe) 25 people there.
The pace of the movie was a little slow, especially in the beginning, but ultimately it wasn't enough to be distracting. In fact, the pace actually helped as the movie went on... it helped create and build a creeping sense of dread and hopelessness. There are some scenes that are startling... even a bit shocking, and I did enjoy the movie. Was it the scariest movie of all time, as some of the hype would have you believe? Hardly... but that shouldn't take away from the fact that Paranormal Activity is a first-rate scarefest.
For me, the American version of The Grudge, or The Ring cannot be beat for sheer spine-tingling, raise your feet off the floor, "holy crap!" scary fun at the movies. Still, I certainly wouldn't try to talk anyone out of going to see this movie... especially if they want a little something to rev up their pre-Halloween fun.

No comments: